Friday, July 4, 2008

The Beginning


THAT IS THE MIDDLE FORK JOHN DAY RIVER -- OREGON


OK -- this is an attempt to get better at electronic communication. Yup............I am starting a Blog. YIKES!!!!

I find myself spending a lot of time doing what I love (studying rivers) but also realize that a lot of people in my life don't really know what that means. Especially my daily activities.

On Monday (July 7th) I begin a project out in Oregon's Northeastern high desert on the Middle Fork John Day River. Apparently there will be no cell phone access there. BUT -- a short walk from my base camp up to a barn is suppose to give us access to wireless internet (we'll see).
We are base camping on Warm Springs Tribal land near the property manager's home and barn -- and they have wireless internet -- usually.

It is my understanding that folks can also communicate with me via this blog.


BY THE WAY -- the track and field Olympic Trials are going on in Eugene right now. It has been fantastic to have so many beautiful athletes from across the country/world here. Steve and I were able to go to some of the finals on Tuesday.......hoping to get over there again this weekend. It is so inspiring to see humans reaching their potential.

Spending the weekend prepping for the week of field work out in the MFJD and hanging with good friends.

paz!

8 comments:

PeaceFromTrees said...

Hey you... Great to see you getting into it... I wrote a paper on how to become a better online activists, which you can read at my blog: http://forestpolicyresearch.org/13-ways-to-be-a-better-online-activist/

Also as I mention in the article http://becomeablogger.com has tutorials on how to earn a liviging with blogging...

And by the way I like your very brief / succint profile description ... That word geomorphologist, it has such a sultry sound to it! : )

P.Lind said...

Hey -- thanks for check'en in....and for the tips. I'll look them up. Dig the Humboldt Forest Defense Association blog page.

Anonymous said...

Pollyanna!

I love you sister! I love this way of reading about what you are up to! What a wonderful job you have!

Miss you!
Arika

Unknown said...

Nice view
We have something like that in Thailand too!
Go to visit Thailand, U r almost welcome
oh yeah!!!!
John

Unknown said...

Hiya Polly ...and Steve...and all you other Hill people/billies!

I'm really happy finally to be able to peak in to your life off and on, and I hope you ...as well as your friends... would stop on by, should you decide to waste the CO2 anyhow and fly to Europe...

I miss the S. Oregon/Humboldt scene so much, but here I am, stuck in Czech Republic for the past 10 years! Now with wife, 1 year old Johanka, building a large straw bale house, and managing our 30+ acres organic permaculture land trust: more on www.permalot.org

Enjoy the river and forests, pat an otter for me and do attempt to beam me over to the OCF!!!

Max- The Great Dane
(Former Green Tortoise caretaker at Cow Creek, Caretaker at Oakstar homestead, Bagelero at Los Bagels etc. etc.)

allison rubin forester said...

Miss you, Pollyanna! We'd all love to hear more about what you're doing daily. We just got back from 8 days camping on Lake Vermilion--had a huge deja vu of us sunning on the high rock after swimming and you teaching me some poi basics. Give Steve our love and we'll scratch together the cash to make it west again some day soon. We love you,
ali and jeff, billie and daisy

Marina said...

Hey girlfriend. So, you're one of us now ;) Congratulations. You'll find this blogger thing interesting. It's like a diary. I certainly enjoy entertaining friends and family in Europe this way :)
Love you,
M

twice said...

found the blog. It's great to hear from you. I wish I was on a river... and not in a city of crime and collaspe.

Cheers!