Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Found myself at home

Returned home late last night from my work out in the Middle Fork John Day. I'll be heading back on July 27th.

After taking down camp we visited the "control reaches" we picked for the MFJD. Baseline data will also be taken of the control reaches, just like the reaches that are going to have restoration work done on them. This allows us to better monitor changes at the restoration sites related to restoration projects compared to changes that the entire river may experience (floods, droughts, landslides, etc).

Then, it was time to start the trip back to the west side. It is a long 6+ hour drive from base camp to Eugene.
To break up the drive we made a couple of side stops.


Pollyanna Lind and Pat McDowell with a fantastic view of the Strawberry Mountains.


Petroglyphs near the John Day River

Picture Gorge -- John Day River -- awesome swimming hole!

Meyers Canyon (Ochoco Mountains) -- erosive flash flood arroyo -- the white stratigraphic layer is Mnt Mazama (Crater Lake) eruptive volcanic ash (7,700 years old).


Steve gracefully welcomed me home and I happily fell into his arms. I was so dirty I took a 30 minute shower. 8 days with just river dips to wash away the days dirt.............I love getting dirty, but I also love getting clean.

Today is a day of gear sorting and washing.
Have to start getting ready to go to Michigan (FAMILY REUNION!)

1 comment:

Craig & Jacinda said...

Your photos are right out of the movies. Beautiful!!

Jacinda