Sunday, October 3, 2010

Southwest Adventure -- WEEK 3

Week Three ......... and it felt like it was only just beginning!
I had made it to my eastern-most destination of Cortez/Mancos, Colorado.
Click on the photos for a larger image view

Sept 24: MESA VERDE! I had wanted to stand amongst these Ancient Pueblo cliff dwellings since I was 12 years old. This was the day! Chris and I woke early to meet up with friends and head into the park to explore ruins and petroglyphs. No words (nor photos) can really describe it. The size and number of cliff dwellings that are spread out amongst the high sandstone cliffs was impressive (to say the least). VERY COOL.We were back to town by dusk so that Chris could make the street performance gig with the band (Vixen) that she and her brother Mike play in. the music was grand and it kicked off the annual hot air balloon festival -- which led into late night merriment and silliness for all.

Sept 25: Apple picking in the morning, garden lounging, and talking/laughing with friends and family this day. FYI, I adore the Rasmussen clan and have adopted you all.In the evening was another "Vixen" performance at the old opera house in Mancos. We, of course, all attended.
Sept 26th:
After a grand family breakfast and packing up I started the first leg of my trek westward. First stop -- Newspaper Rock and Canyon Lands National Park, Needles area.
Newspaper Rock petroglyphs.

Ran into co-traveler Scott C again just before entering the park.

Afternoon hike across the red rock to Squaw Canyon where we found a high point amongst the many misshapen sandstone pinnacles and mesas. The objective -- finding a suitable location to view the sunset. But the stars and moon that joined us on the night walk back across the desert stole the show.

Sept 27th: Canyonlands (day 2) Hiked into Peekaboo Spring down Salt Creek. An entire day alone in the desert ..... ahhhhhh. Insane landscapes; pictographs; cliff dwellings; coyote and bear tracks in the sand next to mine; quick sand; and precious vast solitude.Made it to Moab before dark and found a campsite along the Colorado River off Rd 128.

Sept 28th: Stopped by a truly fantastic bookstore in Moab to say hello to a friend of a friend. If you, or anyone you know, is ever in Moab you MUST stop at Arches Book Co and Back of Beyond Books. It is the best! They are locally owned and have everything we book appreciators could ask for from local/regional geology and guide books to best sellers (new and used). And the owners are great people.Since in Moab -- I unloaded the mountain bike to ride the Slick Rock trail. I was surprised at how such a short trail (only 12 miles) could literally kick my ass (rated physically and technically difficult). I had so much fun I can't even describe it. Sadly, I did not have my camera with me ....... pooh, no pics (see this link for info/images).

Another campsite on the Colorado River for the night, but this time I was off Rd 279 -- near petroglyphs and trial heads of interest. Had an owl rest above my tent in the moonlight that night.

Sept 29th: Exploration of petroglyphs and a hike up to Bow Tie and Corona Arch to start the day.

I was very impressed with these arches -- both in size, aesthetics, and the landscape they were located in. And, there were only a few people at the site.

In search of more arches ...... I headed into Arches National Park. This is a very popular park with quite a bit of traffic. Lucky for me -- when I hiked into Delicate Arch there was only a handful of people at the site.

The other features of the park were impressive but the crowds were more than I wanted to deal with.
It was time for me to start my long drive home.

Reached Scofield, UT State Park by sunset. The smoke in the sky from "controlled burns" made for a colorful dusk over the reservoir. The campsites were lame, but there were hot showers. This was a bonus after having the muddy Colorado River as my only "rinse 0ff" option for several days.
Sept 30: The long ride home to western Oregon. Hit the road at 5:30 am -- made it through Salt Lake City by 7am. Once on Hwy 80 heading west traffic disappeared and I was on the move.

Stop to make myself breakfast just outside of the Bonneville Speedway salt flats. Dry, flat, crusty, and beautiful -- a perfect breakfast picnic site.

The towns slipped by as the road miles hummed along. I knew I was truly back in Oregon when I saw the multi-colored bird and plant-rich marshes of Warner Valley and the clean, cold tumbling of Warner River along the southern border of the state. Made it home at 9 pm (PST). That was 16.5 hours on the road.

Today: I am immersed in the lush green beauty of the Pacific Northwest but the warmth and openness of the SW is forever in my bones and skin. There is still soft red dust to wash off of gear and clothing. There are books and maps to sort. There are photos to organize. There are Road Angels to thank. There are notes to transcribe into journals. Then, there is the next trip into the Southwest to plan.
I am filled with the many gifts of gratitude that created this trip. I feel strong, open, alive, clear, and filled with inspiration. It is a privileged place to be -- and I will forever appreciate this gift.

It is through the exploration and adventures of life that we discover not only the vast beauty of this world's landscapes, but ourself within them.

all photos by P. Lind

2 comments:

Books Dudes Will Read said...

Love the pics, PA. I've often thought of having the third book of my series set at least partially in the Pueblo area. Your photos keep me inspired.

: )

Kristen

Unknown said...

Beautiful!