Friday, March 20, 2009

San Jose & Turriabla

March 18th (day 3): Woke in Heredia and headed straight to Alejuela via the well sorted local bus transport system. After dropping my things at Mi Tierra (my favorite hotel/B&B in the San Jose area) I hopped back on the bus into San Jose. Actually, my primary destination of the day was University of Costa Rica (UCR) in the barrio of San Pedro on the east side of the city.












Downtown San Jose & the National Theatre
At UCR I met Guaria Cardenes -- the Quaternary sedimentologist I want to work collaboratively with here in CR. She is really great and seems quite enthusiastic about working with me. A major piece of my PhD puzzle fallen perfectly into place. Already she has been very helpful.


I had to return to Alajuela in time to meet my professor Pat McDowell at the airport that night. Pat arrived safe & sound so we settled in with a couple of fresh mango's and both rested well.

March 19th (day 4): Fabulous breakfast at the hotel and then Pat and I headed back into San Jose.

PMcD -- on the bus headed into San Jose

We found the Instituto Geografico Nacional at the south side of town and loaded up on topographical maps of the area. Then back out to UCR to show Pat the campus and introduce her to Guaria.

Sometimes I can't believe how well this whole thing is coming together. If I'm not careful I will be doing my PhD research in Costa Rica on the Pacuare River!!!!
OH YEH!! Anyone want to help with field work?......

March 20 (day 5): Woke up after another good night's rest at Mi Tierra. Pat and I sat down at the breakfast table next to a woman who -- get this -- works on headwater stream geomorphology and ecology in rivers on the west side of CR - Susan Bolton from the University of Washington. Another incredible resource with a whole list of contacts to get my project moving. Luck, carma, whatever you want to call it .... I feel like I am on the receiving end.

On the move to Turrialba today. So happy to get out of the rush, bustle, noise, and diesel air of the crowded city. As lovely as San Jose is with its mix of peoples, bordering volcanoes, and old/new architectures -- I am just not a city rat. Definitely more of country river rat.

The bus ride along the twisting road over the passes to Turrialba in CR's south central mountains gave us views of the country's most fertile agricultural valleys. Another perfectly sunny day! Pat and I arrived in Turrialba around 2pm where we met up with my folks at Hotel Turrialba B&B (another place I highly recommend!!!). I'll take pics tomorrow and post.

Spent the late afternoon driving through CATIE -- a research facility at the edge of town with amazing grounds that include a lovely botanical garden.


Centro Agronomico Tropical de Investigacion y Ensenanza



The rain started around 8pm ...... everything smells fresh. If I am luckey I will hear it through the night on the metal roof and wide leaves of the garden outside my open hotel window. Sleep well!

No comments: